- 21 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
What are portfolios?
- Updated on 21 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
To complement your Totara site's functionality, you may want your users to use an external portfolio system, such as Google Docs. In this case you may want to allow users to export certain content from Totara into their portfolios, such as forum posts, assignment submissions, and glossary entries.
Default portfolio plugins
The following portfolio plugins come as part of core Totara:
- Box.net: Follow on-screen instructions to obtain an API key. Log in to Box.net is required. If successful, users will have to specify whether the created HTML file will be shared, and in which folder it has to be placed.
- Google Docs: Permission has to be granted at first use. An HTML file will be created automatically in the user's Documents area. Export formats supported are HTML and LEAP2A (a popular eportfolio format).
- Flickr.com: Follow on-screen instructions to obtain an API key. Authorisation is required at first use.
- Mahara: Disabled by default. Only available if a valid network connection to a Mahara system has been established and the MNet authentication plugin has been enabled.
Items you can export
There are a number of different activity types that allow users to export their content to an enabled portfolio. Please note that users can only export their own content, i.e. content they have created/contributed. Depending on what is being exported, this is done via either the link or icon below:
The content that can currently be exported to portfolio includes:
- Assignment submissions: Online text (via a link), single files (via an icon) and multiple file uploads (via a link)
- Database activities: Export either a single entry (via the icon) or export all of a user's entries from a single database activity using the list view (via link/button)
- Forum posts: Users can export any of their forums posts (via link)
- Glossary entries: Users can export their own glossary entries (via icon)
Individual user settings for portfolios
Users can select which available portfolios are presented in their Export to portfolio list by going to User profile > Preferences > Portfolios > Configure, where they have the option to hide any configured portfolio plugin.
Furthermore, under User profile > Preferences > Portfolios > Transfer logs, each user is shown a list of any currently queued transfers and previous successful transfers. All pending exports can either be continued (green button) or cancelled (red button).
There are a number of settings that apply to all portfolios, which can be accessed via Quick-access menu > Plugins > Portfolios > Common portfolio settings. They include:
- Thresholds for file sizes: Moderate transfer file size and high transfer file size
- The number of database records: Moderate transfer db size and high transfer db size
If the actual values exceed the threshold values, users will be warned that the export might take some time.
© Copyright 2022 Totara Learning Solutions. All rights reserved. Some content originally obtained via GPLv3 license and continues to be available under GPLv3. All other content is the sole copyright of Totara Learning Solutions.