- 05 Aug 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
Set up the LinkedIn Learning integration
- Updated on 05 Aug 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
This integration allows Site Administrators and content creators to browse and import content from LinkedIn Learning to a Totara site. Learners can seamlessly browse and access LinkedIn Learning courses from within Totara, and completion and tracking of this learning are integrated into Totara's reporting.
Prerequisites for using the Totara / LinkedIn Learning integration:
- Totara 15 (and above) Learn
- Professional LinkedIn Learning subscription
Before setting up the integration in Totara, you will first need to obtain your Client ID and Client secret from LinkedIn.
- As an administrator, navigate to the LinkedIn Learning admin interface.
- Hover over Me in the top-right corner, then select Integrate.
- Select the Access content and reports via API tab.
- Expand the Generate LinkedIn Learning REST API Application section.
- Click Add application.
- Complete the form, explaining how the integration will be used and referencing your Totara site.
- Select Content for the Choose keys option.
- Click Next. Once you have saved the application you will be able to copy and paste the Client ID and Client secret.
To start setting up the LinkedIn Learning integration in Totara, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Quick-access menu > Content Marketplaces.
- Click Set up next to LinkedIn Learning, then select Enable.
- Click the cog icon () next to LinkedIn Learning.
- Enter your Client ID and Client secret from LinkedIn Learning.
- Click Save changes.
You can edit these settings by clicking the cog icon () next to LinkedIn Learning, or you can disable the integration by clicking the eye icon ().
Enable tracking of learning event progress and completion
Next you need to configure the integration to enable the tracking of learning progress and completion.
- Go to Quick-access menu > Server > OAuth 2 > OAuth 2 provider details.
- Click Add provider.
- Give the provider a Name (e.g. 'LinkedIn Learning') and Description, then click Add provider.
- Make a note of the details in the new section (LinkedIn Learning, or the name you gave in step 2), or leave this tab open.
- In LinkedIn Learning, go to Configure reporting integrations.
- Expand the Configure xAPI section.
- Select Add integration.
- Choose an Integration name and set the User type to Email.
- Enter the URLs, Client ID and Client secret from step 4.
- Click Enable.
To ensure your learner completion results are reflected correctly in Totara, you need to have completed the following steps:
- Configuration within LinkedIn Learning admin completed.
- The email address of the Totara user must exactly match the email address of the LinkedIn Learning user who completed a course.
- The user's email address must not be used by multiple different users on the Totara site (the email must uniquely identify a user).
- The Totara user must be enrolled in the course in Totara.
You can use the manual course completion editing process as a workaround for any cases where a learner has used different email addresses in LinkedIn (when they completed a course in LinkedIn Learning) and Totara.
OAuth provider capability
You may want to assign a user to manage your site's OAuth providers (such as LinkedIn Learning), without giving them wider administrator capabilities and privileges. If required, you can provide specific users with the totara/oauth2:manageproviders capability at the system level. A user with this capability at the system context will be able to see the list of OAuth2 providers, create new ones and delete existing ones.
To add this capability to a role, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Quick-access menu > Permissions > Define roles.
- Edit the role for which you would like to add the capability, or create a new role if required.
- Scroll down to and check the Allow box for Manage OAuth 2 providers (totara/oauth2:manageproviders).
- Scroll down and click Save changes.
- Assign the role to the user(s) you want to manager OAuth providers.
The Totara Academy has a whole course dedicated to using the Content marketplace in Totara. Here you can learn more about setting up GO1 and LinkedIn Learning integrations, see best practice, and give it a go yourself.
© Copyright 2022 Totara Learning Solutions. All rights reserved.