- 27 Nov 2023
- 3 minutes to read
Set up the IntelliData integration
- Updated on 27 Nov 2023
- 3 minutes to read
The IntelliData integration with Totara allows you to see detailed analytics on your site's learning, helping you to improve your experience and outcomes. We have worked with IntelliBoard to integrate their suite of data analytics and reporting with Totara; the plugin solution in Totara is called IntelliData. The integration uses Totara's external API to provide a secure data transfer process.
We recommend completing this process with the support of an IntelliBoard representative.
Set up an API client in Totara
First you will need to create an API client in Totara.
Create your client by following these steps:
- Go to Quick-access menu > API.
- Click Add client.
- Give the client a Name.
- Select a service account user with the IntelliData api user role assigned.
- Click Add.
- Make a note of the Client ID and Client secret, as you will need to enter these when setting up the integration in IntelliBoard.
Set up in IntelliBoard
After setting up the API client in Totara you can start setting up the integration in IntelliBoard:
- Log in to IntelliBoard with an account with administrator permissions.
- Click Integrations in the top navigation bar.
- Scroll down to find the Totara card and click + Connect.
- Enter an LMS Name.
- Paste your site's URL into the URL field.
- Optionally select a category if you have set these up in IntelliBoard, e.g. if you have multiple test and production instances of your site.
- Paste the Client ID and Client Secret into their respective fields (see step 6 in the Set up an API client in Totara section).
- In the Process At Hour field, select the time you want the data to be processed.
- Make a note of the Encryption Key and Client Identifier, as you will later need to enter these in Totara.
- Leave the IntelliBoard tab open and go to Totara to configure the plugin.
Configure the IntelliData plugin
In this step you will need to return to Totara to configure the IntelliBoard plugin:
- Go to Quick-access menu > Plugins > Business intelligence > IntelliData > General.
- Paste the Encryption Key and Client Identifier (from step 7 in the Set up in IntelliBoard section) into their respective fields.
- Check that the Migration processing limit is set to 100,000 (the default value).
- Ensure that the Export files during migration, Enabled tracking, Track Time by User - Daily and Track Time by User - Hourly settings are enabled.
- Ensure the Compress Tracking setting is set to Save to Totara Cache.
- Ensure that Events tracking is enabled.
- Click Save changes.
Configure table export settings
Before returning to IntelliBoard you can optionally configure which data will be exported from Totara by following these steps:
- Go to Quick-access menu > Plugins > Business intelligence > IntelliData > Table export settings.
- Review the table displaying the data types to be exported to IntelliBoard.
- Configure data types as required by clicking the cog icon () in the Actions column. Click Save changes when you've finished configuring each item.
Set up in IntelliBoard continued
After configuring the plugin in Totara, you can return to IntelliBoard to finish setting up the connection:
- Return to IntelliBoard (where you left off in step 10 of the Set up in Intelliboard section).
- Click Continue and wait to see if the fields are validated. A green check mark will appear inside each field if the integration has been set up correctly so far.
- You will then be redirected to the Filters settings tab. Here you can optionally configure any filters on data coming from your Totara site.
- Click Save.
Run data migrations in Totara
You then need to run migrations in Totara to export a copy of the data to IntelliBoard:
- Go to Quick-access menu > Plugins > Business intelligence > IntelliData > Migrations.
- Click Enable migration.
- Wait for all data types to display Complete in the Status column.
Process data in IntelliBoard
Finally, you need to process the imported data in IntelliBoard:
- In IntelliBoard, click the profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen and select My Connections.
- Select the Totara connection from the list.
- On the Edit Connection page, click Process Data.
- Now you will see the progress of the data being processed. This may take several hours depending on the amount of data being processed.
- The Status will update to Complete once the data processing is finished.
© Copyright 2024 Totara Learning Solutions. All rights reserved.